Salted Cocoa Almond Energy Bars
CATEGORIES: GAPS Nutrition Recipes Snacks + Treats
It happens to us all. We get too little sleep and have a crazy full day work ahead of us and just need something to keep us going between lunch and dinner.
And with a lack of sleep comes often an imbalance blood sugar (meaning insulin spikes – the one thing we need to work at avoiding) and with crazy blood sugars comes crazy cravings.
I had a day like this recently with 5.30am wake up call for a flight and then a full day of my one to one clients. Whilst I LOVE client work, I was pretty tired and ready for the nap in the afternoon and whilst I am a huge fan of napping and sleeping when needed sometimes it’s not always possible or appropriate (i.e don’t suddenly curl up in the corner of a team meeting in your office!)
And that was when I made a batch of these up and have now got a stash in my freezer for those afternoon peppermint tea break boosts. They aren’t super sweet or decadent, like eating dark chocolate – edgy but gooooood.
What makes these super energising is how high-fat they are. Filled with cacao butter, coconut oil and almonds these are going to help stablise your blood sugar and suitable for a high-fat low-carb lifestyle. Plus the organic cocoa and maca gives a gentle energy boost to see you through and the sea salt is great for all round nourishment. #ilovesalt
I use this cacao butter, this maca powder and always buy my cocoa in bulk here. So grab your food processor (I MagiMix and its a gift from God – seriously) and blend these up so you can have some awesome snacks to hand.
Annnnnnd if you want another 6 more FREE recipes that are like this – sugar and gluten free and fabulous alternatives to your everyday treats and snacks then make sure you sign up for my free Natural Sweetener Recipe eGuide below.
- 200g almond (or mixed nuts)
- several large pinches of sea salt
- 1 scoop coconut oil
- 100g cacao butter
- 100g desicated coconut
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 2.5 tbsp organic cocoa
- 25g ground linseeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup/honey/coconut nectar
- 2 tsp stevia
- 25g 85% dark chocolate
- 1-2 pinches of sea salt
- Melt the cacao butter and coconut oil in a pan.
- Meanwhile in a food processor blend the nuts until a smooth paste forms.
- Add in all other ingredients and blend until a thick paste is formed.
- Pour into a grease/lined dish and sprinkle with sea salt flakes then allow to set in the freezer for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Melt chocolate adn then drizzle over the bars and add a little bit more sea salt.
- Allow to set in fridge or freezer.
- You could also use any other type of nut instead of almonds.