I have been through so many versions of this recipe. Honestly the trails of creating recipes with no normal ingredients! And you know the downside is you have to try all said recipes (hard times – not!) but it was definitely worth it.
These are delightfully dark and rich, and when cooked right have a lovely gooey consistency PLUS they have vegetables in and you know that I LOVE putting vegetables in cake.
I am a firm believer that feeling deprived when you are regaining your health or losing weight is not necessary. A lot of that is about your mindset (which I talk a lot about in my Flourish Academy – another one coming at you soon!) but some of it also comes down to getting creative in the kitchen and making healthier alternatives. Unless there is some serious gut healing needed I never recommend people just remove things completely from their diets leaving a great cavernous space, we need to make healthier replacements so that we don’t end up giving up and bingeing on hobnobs!
So enjoy and tell me what is your favourite brownie recipe and what is your favourite vegetable cake?
Dark Chocolate Beetroot Brownies (Gluten, sugar, dairy free)
- 5 Organic Eggs
- 100 grams Cocoa Powder
- 4 Tablespoons Melted Coconut Oil or Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 4-5 Tablespoons Raw Honey
- 100 grams Raw Beetroot
- 15 Dates pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon Arrowroot Powder for dusting - optional
- Preheat the oven to 200*C.
- In a food processor blend the beetroot, chopped dates and eggs for 1-2 minutes. Then add the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a greased tray so it's about an inch in thickness.
- Bake for 20 minutes for gooey brownies or 25 minutes for firmer ones.
- Allow to cool then cut into slices.
- Dust 1/4 tsp of sieved arrowroot powder for that icing sugar look minus the refined sugar!
- Store in fridge or freezer.