Gooseberry Fool with Sugar Crunch & Berry Picking
CATEGORIES: Nutrition Recipes Snacks + Treats
This week I got to experience what it would be like to be a total country bumpkin and as I went and gathered punnets full of berries.
I have been strawberry picking in my past but never had I picked gooseberries nor had I ever cooked with them. So after some instagram advice (thanks Meri) I decided to make a simple compote and layer it with probiotic goodness and nutty sugary crunch topping.
Here is our morning in photos …
(isn’t my nephew the cutest and yes he ate berries the whole way round…)
Gladiator type barley fields, all that was missing was the soundtrack!
So here is a super simple way to use up any berry you have managed to pick (simple switch berry of black/straw/blue berry) and create a really simple but elegant desert of layers of creamy yogurt, tangy berries and sugary crunch.
It also full of probiotic goodness so that it will leave you with one happy tummy and less of that pregnant bloated look – always good thing in my book…
- GOOSEBERRY COMPOTE
- 600g gooseberries
- 75g coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- SUGAR CRUNCH
- 100g cashews
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp oragnic butter
- 500g organic yogurt
- To make the compote place berries in a pan and bring to sim for about 25 minutes. Then add teh sweetener and cook until it has become thicker. Taste and add more sweetness according to your preference..
- Place in clean jars and allow to cool in the fridge.
- For the crunch in a frying pan melt the butter and chop the cashew until in small piece and place in frying pan. Add the coconut sugar and stir fro a few minutes on low heat.
- Then place under a medium grill until the nuts go golden and then allow to cool completely.
- The when the nuts are cooled layer up the yogurt in bottom of a glass (about 2 tbsp), then add a layer of gooseberry compote and sprinkling of the sugar crunch . Repeat again (or as many times as you like) and serve.
- Store any leftover crunch in a jar in the fridge along with any of the goosberry mixture.