The Natural Health Benefits of Maca Powder
CATEGORIES: Healing & Herbs Nutrition
It has been a long time since my last Herbal Devotion post and I do love a good herb. Although strictly speaking I am not sure if this actually counts as a herb, as it is a plant root – but that is close enough for me!
Now don’t worry if you have never heard of this wondrous substance – I hadn’t either until very recently, but am now loving it and looking forward to see how it helps to naturally heal my body. I have only been using it for a few weeks but have found it an easy thing to incorporate into my diet, plus it doesn’t cost the earth so is budget friendly!
What is it?
Maca Powder is a root grown in the Andes mountains of Peru and has been used for hundreds of years for its medicinal purposes and is a relative of radishes and similar to turnips. It has recently gained attention as a bit of a natural health wonder food but has been used for many many years.
- The main overall benefit of Maca is that it helps supports the Endocrine system of the body, as an endocrine adaptagen, it supplies the nutrients needed for correct hormone production. It stimulates the hypothalamus and pituitary gland which are ‘in charge’ of all the other glands of the body , meaning Maca is great for sorting out hormone imbalances,
This is currently what I am using it for to see if it will positively impact my PMS and period pain which is probably due to poor hormone imbalance – I will let you know how it goes!
- It is supposed to boost and support fertility in both men and women – naturally. I have no personal experience of this, as as I have yet to produce off spring, but this wonderful blogger has experienced it fertility boosting benefits first hand. Here is how it works,
‘ In women, maca works by controlling estrogen in the body. Estrogen levels that are high or low at the wrong time can keep a woman from becoming pregnant or keep her from carrying to term. Excess estrogen levels also cause progesterone levels to become too low. Taking maca may help to increase the progesterone levels which are essential to carrying a healthy pregnancy.’ Source
And in men, ‘Estrogen in men produces erectile dysfunction or lack of libido, low sperm count, and lowered production of seminal fluid. Studies have shown that men who use maca may experience an increased libido and an increase in sperm health.’ Source
- It is rich in B Vitamins and is even a vegetarian source of Vit B12. B Vitamins help our bodies produce energy and are an essential part of the production of many functions in the body – like iron absorption for example.
- Minerals. It contains calcium, magnesium and iron so is a great mineral booster!
- It is also said to boost one sex drive and restore lost libido and has earned itself the nick name of ‘Nature’s Viagra’.
- It helps heal Adrenal Glands. Maca is great at supporting our these glands and in treating Adrenal Fatigue, a stress and lifestyle induced condition that normally leaves you feeling permanently wiped out and in need of caffeine and sugar. You can find out more here.
- It also contains fibre and Vit C to boot!
How to take it?
It comes in capsule or in powdered forms. I don’t mind the taste of it at all so recently I have just been sprinkling it on my homemade Kefir and having a few teaspoons a day. There has been no toxic side effects known for this herb but be wise and listen to your body in terms of dosages, but I would recommend 1-3 tsp a day. Its also great in smoothies or sneaked into bake goods!
Do not use during pregnancy.
If you are suffering from PMS or hormone imbalance , fertility issues or problems with your glands then why not give Maca a try. Super Naturally Healthy eating and nutrition are key factors in health, but once you have that sorted supplementation can really give your body a healing boost!
Buy it here!